25 February, 2007



Neil McGregor's Fleetscene BMX Questionnaire. Oh yeah.


Where / what would you like to ride most?
Mellowpark (Berlin) trails and skatepark again, Woodward and Vancouver. Different UK spots in succession, roadtrip style would be great too, but if I could ride trails close to where I live I probably wouldn’t ride anything else.

If you could have one trick, what would it be?
360s. They just look cool and are dead versatile. One of those rare tricks that riders appreciate that also look great to outsiders. However I’d also like manuals super consistent on everything – that would save me so much frustration pretty much every time I ride!!

What’s the best song, or use of a song, in a BMX video you’ve seen?
Everything in Forward is pretty ace and fits the riding nice. Spellbound on NFT is radical too. Major props for that section for introducing me to such a great song. But the winner I think is probably the intro song on True (that sample from Lovin’ Spoonful – Summer in the City) just coz it sets the scene for the rest of the vid so well. Nice and memorable too.

If you were to have a full-length video section, what song would you chose to accompany it?
Well at the moment my 3 favourite bands are Interpol, Bloc Party and Hot Chip so something of theirs would be great. The exact song would depend on the editor as I really have no idea what would fit my style. My style is quite gash and all over the place so it might be a movie-makers nightmare. Bloc Party – Hunting For Witches from the new album could be cool.


Besides their riding, which riders do you admire and why?
Hoffman for the size of his balls and ability to come back from some serious injuries and still push it and promote the sport in a positive way after turning 30. Local wise probably Nobin for his style and flow, and Nick for dedication and passion for putting together photos and videos. Ben for setting up Fleetscene and being a douche-bag. Heck, you’re all RAD!

Who has the best style in BMX?
Probably Chase Hawk because he just blasts. For some reason when I ride in shorts and t-shirt I feel the urge to want to ride like him. I obviously fail, but he provides inspiration nonetheless.

What is your biggest fear, related to BMX?
Anything that stops me riding or interferes with other aspects of my life. If I’m gonna do this whole respectable businessman thing after uni then I don’t think visible scars would go down to well. Getting a handlebar to the crotch or something that stops me fathering children would be a tad uncool down the line. No one wants to shoot blanks.

What’s your next banger? What have you got your eyes on?
Would love to 3 a dirt jump. Still feel like the one at Mellowpark trails doesn’t really count as there was no gap invloved.

BMX in the Olympics; good or bad?
Good, because even if it is just racing you’d hope that it has a spillover effect. Like trails and a kickass skatepark next door to Oympic standard race tracks. Plus how much fun do those race tracks they have in the US look?! The jumps are tiny and wide so you can just razz round. Something needs to replace Farnham.


What were your riding highlights of 2006? What are your goals for 2007?
Hmm pretty chuffed with walking away from the M3 trails crash. Probably 180ing both ways and eventually 360ing the Ali Whitton step-up in Manc with Nick. Actually getting the speed and making the step-up was hard enough but spinning it made it easier + ten times more fun. For 2007 I just want to ride more and get more consistent.

Describe your worst crash.
Where to start? Medically I guess it’s Tweseldown 4-pack as I got concussion. Would describe that but I don’t remember it! “ What happened? Have I got a girlfriend…” – what a tool! Otherwise it’s the M3 trails. I really couldn’t get to grips with the curvy roll-in so decided to just roll in straight, but from further up. However I picked the wrong tree, went way too fast, didn’t prepare for take-off and just lost the bike from beneath me. I landed just before the 2nd lip having done that whole flailing arms “I’m flying!” thing from a fair few feet up at high speed. I’m just glad it rained that day so the dirt was more forgiving.

Do you really push yourself to progress, or are you just happy to ride and not worry about it too much?
Well as I haven’t progressed at all recently I guess that’s a no. When I ride something regularly I do try and air it higher and higher the more familiar it gets.

Parts: new and radical or simple and trusted?
Whatever Nick tells me is good/what I need to buy before something snaps on me.

What is BMX / What does BMX mean to you?
A way of life. An eye-opener. An excuse to travel. Being with mates. Excuse for artfag. F-king good fun!

What the best thing you’ve ever done on a bike?
360 at Mellowpark. Hanging up front wheel into the backside of the landing at Fleet Pond and still riding out of it. ‘Double-dongs’ on the volcano.

What is your favourite memory of riding?
Riding Farnborough every day before/after having to work a shitty job and summer days at any mud jumps.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Neil wins funniest questionnaire hands down. Me n Gayson living in derby next year, lots of trips up to manc mate.

8:49 pm

 
Blogger ronbin said...

haha classic stuff there neil

8:14 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home