14 February, 2007



The first one: Nick Armstong's Fleetscene Questionnaire.


Where / what would you like to ride most?
Despite living in Derby I think I probably ride Fleet park the most, other than that it’s a few street spots around Derby – but not often enough. I’d like to ride some parks that don’t rely on braking too much and always like riding/finding new street spots. I’d like to go back to Manchester to ride Platfields park and have our camera for riding some of the street around there. Barca – Mecca.

If you could have one trick, what would it be?
I would say hang five over tooths down kinked rails but that’d be a lie… I’d like to have barspins whenever I wanted, on any thing.

What’s the best song, or use of a song, in a BMX video you’ve seen?
Sprung 3 trails section where the music is timed with the riding was amazing when I first saw it. I like Sinewave by Mogwai intro to Forward and the Spanish guitar track on Fly Uno’s intro.

If you were to have a full-length video section, what song would you chose to accompany it?
God forbid! I’d like The Stranglers – Duchess (do not use this track!) plus it’s just over 2minutes, there are only so many manuals you can watch.

Besides their riding, which riders do you admire and why?
I’ve come round to being a fan of Glen Milligan’s work. Wasn’t a fan of his videos pre dating Drop the Hammer but his later videos look a lot better. Joe Cox is still the best BMX editor in my opinion, his stuff looks too good. Derik Adams (Little Devil, Orchid) is the MAN. I also like Steve Banners(?) photography, he’s shit hot at riding too. Gav from Derby tells me lots of BMX industry stories. The four others from FleetScene, you all got stuff to offer.

Who has the best style in BMX?
Neil McGregor.

What is your biggest fear, related to BMX?
An injury that puts an end to riding. Tearing an ACL is not on my ‘to-do’ list either.

What’s your next banger? What have you got your eyes on?
Hop on to low brick ledge ride which leads to a 6ft gap, 3ft drop onto another ledge ride (both only a brick’s width). There’s a wedge launch over a rail in Manchester too.

BMX in the Olympics; good or bad?
Good. The more people involved in BMX, the more likely I’ll be able to get a job involved in it, fingers crossed.

What were your riding highlights of 2006? What are your goals for 2007?
Highlights were producing I Heart Barca, continuing, if a little slowly, with Carve and getting to know some of the Derby riders a bit better. Riding wise, just gradually getting better at riding. Gaining more bike control along with learning the occasional new stunt.

Describe your worst crash.
I guess I don’t really crash badly that often. Landing on my injured arm in Barca sucked and that fence trails in crash in Derby had my neck aching for days after. Thankfully not really had any McGregor M3 big set style crashes.

Do you really push yourself to progress, or are you just happy to ride and not worry about it too much?
Progress slowly not massively fussed but wouldn’t mind some of that lack of fear and natural talent you Pearson’s seem to possess.

Parts: new and radical or simple and trusted?
Always weary of new ways of solving things but tend to end up coming around to them in the end. Still rocking 14mm front axles though.

What is BMX / What does BMX mean to you?
I could probably write a page on what BMX means to me. It is my life, I hope it will continue to be my life for many more years. It’s all I talk about, think about and enjoy. I can’t really think of other sports that give you the same kind of lifestyle that makes you meet the people you do, travel to the places you go to and encourages creativity relating to it.

What the best thing you’ve ever done on a bike?
I’m not sure, maybe someone else is better off answering this. I don’t think there’s a lot of choice for this answer haha! Farnborough quarter to quarter wallride.

What is your favourite memory of riding?
Riding back in the day.
Farnham bmx track.
Berlin.
Barcelona.
Summer days, learning new stuff, being with your mates, riding, eating, drinking, watching videos, talking shit.

1 Comments:

Blogger ronbin said...

yeah, good answers sir. hope you had a rad birthday.

5:54 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home