27 February, 2007



Looking, shaking, riding. Nick Photos.


The Last One:


Where / what would you like to ride most?
I want to do a big long road trip of the states, for about 6 months, to ride all the famous spots, and see America. Brooklyn banks, Mt. Baldy, Kona, the Woodwards, everywhere. Would also love to hit Vancouver and some of Canada’s other spots. The Seylyn snakerun, I have to ride that thing. I’m not sure how I’d ever be able to afford it though. Other than that I’d like to ride Marseille, some of the German parks look really fun, and obviously Barca street. And more trails, big ones.

If you could have one trick, what would it be?
It’s a toss-up between whips, bars, and threes, (and maybe turndowns and tables). I think being able to 360 big doubles is still the coolest thing ever, as well as drops and spines, so probably threes.

What’s the best song, or use of a song, in a BMX video you’ve seen?
I love the music on Roadfools 11, Roadfools 7 and Forward. True and the Sprung videos were classics. However, I’m not sure I could nail it down to one single song.
Recently I’m loving the music on Lotek Vancouver. BMX videos are definitely a big influence on my taste in music.

If you were to have a full-length video section, what song would you chose to accompany it?
I could agonise over this forever. I’d like it to be something by a very select group of artists; Daniel Johns, Elvis Costello, and maybe Donald Fagen or Joe Jackson. It’s doubtful whether any of them would be appropriate though.
However, I could be happy with a lot of songs from loads of different bands, as long as I was pleased with the riding. Music selection would probably be something I’d be more able to object to, rather than suggest. Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance can get fucked though.

Besides their riding, which riders do you admire and why?
Steve Crandall seems like a really funny guy, reminds me of Exeter Tom. Everything Rich Hirsh is involved with seems to be really well done; Lotek, Goods, Odyssey, etc, so I admire him for doing things well. Riders like Freimuth, Osato, Miron, Hoffman, I’ll always respect because of the commitment and sacrifices they’ve made for BMX. The concept of a man, well into his 30s, (Osato excepted) still doing the best stuff is really awesome. Van Homan for creating the best video part yet. And also, Enns is a fucking ledge.

Who has the best style in BMX?
Eddie Cleveland has the best style on street I think, everything looks so effortless and text. Other than that, obviously Bestwick on vert. Layos, Aitken, Bohan, Edgworth, and Hardy, are all supremely stylish on park and dirt. Best tables? Gotta be Inman

What is your biggest fear, related to BMX?
Damaging my knees, or my back. Never landing a tailwhip. Never 360ing a dirt double.

What’s your next banger? What have you got your eyes on?
I really like the look of the Guildford handrail, and doing a rail on real street is something that appeals to me. Other than that I’d love to take footjam tailwhips to banks. A barspin air on a quarter would also be cool.

BMX in the Olympics; good or bad?
I don’t really see how it could have a really negative impact on the sport. I don’t think BMX is an Olympic sport, but I think it would be interesting. It’s always going to be fairly peripheral; most people would probably ignore it.

What were your riding highlights of 2006? What are your goals for 2007?
Pulling my first flatland whip was a very happy moment. Learning barspins is something I’m also pretty happy with. Riding trails (albeit relatively shit ones) with Will and Cam and Neil again was good.

I’d like to ride as much as possible in 2007, and stay injury-free, as much as possible. Doing a handrail on real street, and establishing some trails I’m happy with would be two major goals. Maybe riding abroad as well. Keeping Fleetscene going, shooting decent photographs, clocking some footy, it’s all fun.

Describe your worst crash.
My worst crash was probably when I was trying to learn turndowns over a double at Velmead #2. I was turning towards my front foot, (classic error) got most of the way into a turndown and stayed that way. I smashed my head into the dirt, and remember coming to with a mouth full of dirt, having no idea what day it was. Not a very bad “worst crash” at all really, I’ve been lucky, either that or I’ve been a total pussy. The crash that got me on bmxonline was fairly impressive, the spine 180 fuckup, but that didn’t really do anything too permanent.

Do you really push yourself to progress, or are you just happy to ride and not worry about it too much?
When I’m riding new places I’m generally not bothered about progression. When you ride the same place on a regular basis though, I don’t think you can so the same stuff without getting bored. It’s not something I worry about, but learning new stuff is very satisfying, and spurs you on to ride more, and learn more. That said, I have been know to get a little irate from time to time, normally when I’m riding stupidly or I’m trying something and getting nowhere. Hasn’t happened in a while though.

Parts: new and radical or simple and trusted?
Most of the stuff on my bike is fairly simple. I don’t really think there are that many genuinely radical, innovative parts in BMX; things like Kevlar tyres have been around for ages. Ideally my bike would be a bit lighter though. My next one will have push fit stuff.

What is BMX / What does BMX mean to you?
BMX is something that has been a constant in my life for several years. I don’t think I go a day without thinking about BMX, I always check the major bmx websites, always read Ride cover to cover, BMX is as much a part of my life as breathing or eating. There were times at uni when I barely rode, and wondered if I was beginning to give up BMX, but it never happened, thankfully. BMX is just something I do, and can’t imagine not doing. It’s a creative outlet, a form of escapism, a bit of exercise, something most don’t understand, and I like it that way.

What the best thing you’ve ever done on a bike?
I don’t know how well I can judge my own riding… the few 540s I’ve pulled were probably a highlight. 360ing Farnborough’s spine is something I’m quite proud of. When I land a flip on something that doesn’t squidge, that’ll be special. I was really stoked about getting through the big 13MX guys’ four pack, those jumps were easily the biggest and most scary I’ve ridden. So yeah, something in that group of things, probably.

What is your favourite memory of riding?
Memories of Velmead, Hawley, and Tweseldown trails. Starting fires, digging holes, building jumps, riding, buying milkshake and pasties from Tesco express, blowing up gas canisters, smoking pot, learning my first tricks, making friendships that will last forever.
Riding all day, without worrying about anything.
Going on night missions to steal spades. Sleepovers. Everyone wearing bolt and criminal damage jeans. Rosie, Kerry, and Fran coming to the jumps. Lorrie and Linsell jumping out of the Hawley crater, until Lorrie nosedived into the floor spectacularly.
Cam, Will, and Jonny coming up with the funniest stuff. Mud clod wars in Tweseldown. Filming at Velmead with Jonny’s camera. Jumping through fire on top of Tweseldown hill. Going on night missions to steal spades. The smell of woods; pine, dirt, fire.
They will never die.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

You seem to have no new favourite memories of riding.

"There were times at uni when I barely rode, and wondered if I was beginning to give up BMX, but it never happened, thankfully." eurgh horrible thought quitting, i get edgy when i dont get to ride.

ahhh youve done plenty of good stuff, we still need to make a bit of a video

12:21 am

 
Blogger Ben said...

I suppose I do have more recent favourite memories of riding, downhilling over the last 6 months or so is probably it though, or learning backies into foam and stuff. I've yet to challenge the "back in the day" memories.

3:00 pm

 
Blogger ronbin said...

aaah very true words.

4:16 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home