10 January, 2013

Discussion

I find this video interesting for several reasons, but mainly because it's basically filmed and edited very much like a modern mountainbike web vid.  Certain things you always see in mountainbike edits that also crop up in this are:

  • Completely inoffensive music
  • Close up SUPER SLOW MO shots
  • Fast pans
  • Lots of supporting shots (bike and rider)
  • Speed - no flat rails at walking pace.
  • It's very clean and pretty.
  • I think I saw a mountain in there.
Whether or not this approach 'suits' BMX is up for debate, but I think it works quite well with Anthony Napolitan's style.  He seems like a pretty clean and pro sort of dude, and his riding is very precise.  Personally, I still like bmx videos to be a bit rough and ready, or at least seem that way (Anthem).  

Other discussion points; that set-up at the end is clearly a FMX hip jump, which makes you realise just how big those guys go.  Getting two-thirds of the way up the landing on a bmx was a pretty big deal; they probably go 50 feet above it.  

Anyway, enough rambling.

3 Comments:

Blogger Neil Mac said...

Watched at work with the sound off but this video is one of the best I've seen for a while. How perfect do some of those trails look?!

4:48 pm

 
Blogger ronbin said...

Yeah, I was really into the style of this video. Seems to suit his vibe really well somehow, I feel like they probably discussed a lot of the shots in detail to make them come out like that. Into it. A superman seat grab indian air on a massive FMX thing IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO.

8:21 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

I agree with you on all of that, I don't think this 'cinematic' styles completely unique to this video though. I think you can find similar in bmx videos but I know what you're saying, its certainly used less often compared to DH/Freeride.

I love all the different styled videos you can find showing bmx, e.g. Mike Manstroni(?), Rich Forne, Will Evans/Dave Sowerby etc.

5:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home