10 January, 2012

Mat Hoffman (multiple)
Stricker
Kachinsky (multiple)
Joe Rich
Rob Darden (multiple)
Ashley Charles
Garrett Reeves
Mike Spinner (multiple)
Mike Mastroni
George Boyd
Ben Green
Alfredo Mancuso

2 Minute list off the top of my head of riders that have broken their ACLs. Not preaching at all, but if you choose to do some quick exercises every once in a while to keep your legs strong its probably not a bad idea! - Better yet if you goto a gym put some work in getting quads & hamstrings that a silverback gorilla would be proud of (hamstrings especially).

Its just over 6 months since I had the op and almost a year since I tore it. The op incidentally, is a hell of a lot worse getting back to normal than getting back to normal after actually rupturing it.

The videos below show what happens when it goes, (one option of) repairing it and exercises you can do to keep that area strong. There is no doubt in my mind that sitting at a desk and riding less often due to winter meant that my leg muscles weren't as strong as they could've been and therefore were less able to prevent it.






Click here for animation of how its often torn

YouTube channel of 5 videos of exercises keep the muscles around your knee strong


Yeah, sorry to write all that junk but it really does suck to lose a year+ of having a body that works properly.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Fuck, glad I haven't eaten supper yet. Can't wait until you're riding again Nick.

8:06 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

Wasn't really meant to be about me, rather just a bit of information about that kinda accident. But yeah, I can't wait to ride with a bit of confidence that my leg won't snap either!

4:27 pm

 
Blogger Perry said...

Cunt of an injury, but if it makes you feel any better Michael Owen trains every day for a few hours, 5 days a week and he still tore it. Sometimes it's just the way you land. Don't hate yourself about it. Move on and shred the gnar!

11:21 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

Yeah absolutely, if its gonna go then it will! Just don't wanna see it happen to anyone else.

8:57 am

 
Blogger ronbin said...

uhhhh man that's so nasty... I feel bad for anyone who's done that. euurugh.

5:19 pm

 
Blogger Neil Mac said...

Has it involved much 'deep tissue sports massage'? The name alone makes me shudder after getting one on my leg to cure IRB (dodgy knee from running). Worked a treat but f-k me they're painful! I was shouting out and swearing in the room and everything!

Can imagine that's not even close to some of the rehabilitation needed for ACL. Think I might get on the cod liver oil also. Desk jobs suck!

4:29 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

I dunno what deep tissue sports massage is but if its the physio THE RAPIST pressing super hard down on your hamstrings then yeah. I ripped my hamstring during physio and my cutoff shorts would roll up high enough so I had to get a massage off some old lady in me boxers in the middle of the physio gym.... and it hurt!

I think I might sell myself out completely, going against everything I used to say and go and join a gym to try and get it working in time for Malaga in March.

4:48 pm

 
Blogger Ben said...

Good idea I reckon. I used to hate the idea of going to a gym, but now I think I'll be a member for life. You're naturally muscled anyway nick, so you'll probably end up looking like an upside-down dorito after one session!

8:15 am

 
Blogger Nick said...

Haha doubt it, whole body feels screwed on a regular basis now! Don't think this getting older lark is all its cracked up to be

3:11 pm

 
Blogger Andy said...

A bit of a late comment (and my first comment, whey!)

If you get any knee pain that re-occurs, get to an orthopaedo - actually request it off your GP - I've been running on inflamed knee joints for a year and a half because of a shit GP.

It should have taken a steroidal injection to fix it but now they're not sure if I'll have to have a full arthroscopy.

9:28 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home